1. smscpa20
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. Wednesday, 04 January 2017
I was wondering if I could get some help on how to add supplements to the foods. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to work. For instance, the NOW Kelp Powder was already included as a food in the program. According to the program, it has 135,000 mcg of iodine in 2 level scoops of 0.2 g. According to the label, it has 270 mcg of iodine in 2 level scoops of 200 mg. Since these are the same 2 level scoops except one is in grams and one is in mcg, why are the amounts different?

This has me all confused. If I was trying to add the supplement, I would have used 270 mcg of iodine and not 135,000 as per the program, so I guess I would have done it wrong, and that would mess up any recipes I used this with. Am I totally missing something here????

I am not even going to try to explain my confusion with the NOW bone meal powder :)

I would appreciate any help I can get because I am so doubting my ability to do this!! I have to be able to add the supplements I will use, and I feel so clueless.

Thank you.
Accepted Answer
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi Stacy,

I understand what you are trying to say but the majority of our customers do not want to have to do calculations or remember what they input as common measures. It is easier for someone to input .08 teaspoons rather than .17 half teaspoons. Also, supplements come in a wide variety of forms and weights. We just want people to enter the supplement info that they see on the bottle or package and our software will auto-magically enter it into the database so you can work with the supplement.

Sometimes you have to do calculations. For instance, this blog tutorial demonstrates how to add a complex supplement into the database. Some calculations are required but we will reduce these calculations as we improve the software.

https://www.petdietdesigner.com/en/community-blog/entry/food-wizard-seaweed-meal-supplement

Rene
Animal Nutritionist and Lead Developer for Pet Diet Designer
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # Permalink
Votes
Undo
Hi smscpa20,

Yes we can help you add supplements. It is actually very easy once you get the hang of it.

The NOW Kelp powder is stored correctly in the program as 135,000 mcg of Iodine per 100 grams. It is important to note that the program stores the nutrients levels for all foods and supplements based on a set quantity of 100 grams. So while the amount seems high to you the program will accurately calculate the exact amount of nutrient in your recipe. Note, in the case of Now Kelp, that 2 level scoops weighs 0.2 grams. That is all the program needs to accurately calculate the amount of iodine in 1 scoop or 1.25 scoops or 14 scoops, etc.

To add a supplement you only have to know the weight (in grams, ounces, pounds, or kilograms) of the supplement you are adding and the measure (for instance, teaspoon, scoop, cup, etc.). The program will precisely do all the calculations for you when you design a recipe.

Can you please tell me what supplement you are trying to add so that I can help you with this?

Rene
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Now I get the 135,000. But, why does the program say it is 0.2 grams rather than just using the measurement of 100 grams or 200 grams. I just don't understand lol. I feel so clueless. And the sad thing is I am an accountant and can't figure out this math :)

So, I want to add 1/2 teaspoon of Now Calcium Carbonate. The label says it has 600 mg per 1/2 level teaspoon of 1.5 g. I have no idea on where to start to add this.

I really appreciate you helping me with this.

Thank you!!!
Stacy
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Hi Stacy,

Below is a series of screenshots that show how to enter Now Calcium Carbonate into the Nutrient Wizard (aka Add Food wizard). From the internet the label for Now Calcium Carbonate reads 600 mg calcium per 1/2 level teaspoon. The weight of 1/2 level teaspoon of Now Calcium Carbonate powder is 1.7 grams.

I hope this helps. Please use the screenshots to enter this supplement into your database.

Rene
Attachments (9)
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
Thank you so much! I see part of my problem. I was confused on the very first screen because it says per 100 grams at the top, so I was thinking I had to convert what was on the label to 100 grams, and now I see that is not the case.

But, I am still confused because I thought 1/2 level teaspoon should be 600 mg. So why is the calculated value stored in the program 35294 instead of 600?? I just don't get it.

I feel horrible asking so many questions, but I just can't grasp this for some reason.

Stacy
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
Hi Stacy,

1/2 teaspoon = 1.7 grams = 600 mg of calcium

However, the system stores values as 100 grams, so the system will multiply

600 (100/1.7) = the quantity of calcium in 100 grams of the supplement.

So 600 (58.8235) = 35,294.10

I hope this makes sense. The wizard does the calculations for you so you don't have to worry about it. You can verify this by adding the Now calcium supplement to a blank recipe and changing the quantity to 1/2 level teaspoon. You will see that the program will automatically apply the 600 mg value. Because you entered teaspoons as a common measure, this means that you can work with grams and teaspoons for that ingredient. If you went back into the Nutrient Database (aka Foods module) and added the following (1 level tablespoon = 5.1 grams), then you would also be able to work with tablespoons as well. This is because 3 teaspoons equals one tablespoon.

The point of the wizard is to shield you (as much as possible) from having to do tedious calculations. We will be improving the Wizard considerably, based on customer feedback.

Rene
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
OH!!!! I get it now! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I hope you don't mind, but I have another question. I added the calcium carbonate. I need to add 1/6 of the half a teaspoon to the diet. So, in the recipe balancer, I added 0.17 of the teaspoon unit (which says it is really 0.5 teaspoon in the drop down list like we set this up). When I add this, in the table data section, it shows 27 mg of calcium in the recipe. This is confusing to me because if 0.5 teaspoon is 600 mg, shouldn't 1/6 of the 0.5 teaspoon be 100 mg. I have no idea how it gets 27 mg out of any of the information we have put in.

And I also just noticed that I can change the amount in the recipe ingredients, and it doesn't change the amount in the actual recipe. For instance, I can change it to 1 teaspoon rather than the 0.17, and it still says it is 27 mg in the recipe. What am I doing wrong??

I feel so clueless, and I really apologize for my confusion.

Thank you,
Stacy
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 6
Votes
Undo
Hi Stacy,

When you change an amount in the ingredient list, please hit the ENTER key. All of the graphs will update in real time and the new amount is updated in the database.

You entered teaspoons into the system, so if 1/2 teaspoon is 600 mg, then

1/4 tsp = 300 mg
1/8 tsp = 150 mg
1/12 (.083) tsp = 100 mg

Rene
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 7
Votes
Undo
I hit the enter key every time I changed it.

I thought we set it up at 1/2 teaspoon and not 1 teaspoon when we added the supplement through the wizard, so I just don't understand. I added the supplement at .17 (1/6 of the 1/2 teaspoons). Why would I use 1/12 rather than 1/6? I could see using the 1/12 if we set it up as a teaspoon, but it is set up as 1/2 teaspoon. I guess my confusion is now on why it is using 1 teaspoon instead of 1/2 teaspoon like it was set up?

I am so embarrassed that I am having such a hard time with this. Thank you for your patience with me.

Stacy
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 8
Votes
Undo
Hi Stacy,

We just entered a common measure (1/2 teaspoon) along with the supplement in grams (100). So the wizard did 2 things: 1) you can work with the calcium supplement in grams, and (2) you can work with the calcium supplement in teaspoons (or fractions, multiples).

The program is looking for 3 pieces of key data: a common measure (in our case it is "level teaspoons";); a gram weight for the common measure (here we supplied 1/2 teaspoon is equal to 1.7 grams), and the nutrients, with their values (in this case it is 600 mg of calcium).

These 3 pieces of data are all the program needs to deal with any amount of teaspoons or grams of this supplement.

Hope this helps.

Rene
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 9
Votes
Undo
I still don't understand how 1/6 of the 1/2 teaspoon is coming up as 27 mg of calcium. When I added the ingredient, I put .17 of the 1/2 teaspoon. How should I have done it? Maybe that is what I am missing in my understanding.

I really appreciate you taking time to help me with this.

Thank you!!!
Stacy
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 10
Votes
Undo
Also, no matter what I do, it keeps the recipe ingredient at 100 grams. I can change it and hit enter, and the calcium information does not change. When I close it out and reopen it, it goes right back to 100 grams. Which makes this make even less sense since the ingredient added was based on 1.7 grams and 600 mg of calcium. How in the world could 100 grams only have 27 if 1.7 grams has 600.

I am so lost!!!

Stacy
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 11
Votes
Undo
Hi Stacy,

Maybe you entered the data incorrectly into the Wizard. Can you please send me a screenshot of the detailed view of the Now Calcium Carbonate supplement in your database. I want to see if it exactly matches the screenshot that I provided for you in the above tutorial.

Rene
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 12
Votes
Undo
Here it is.
Attachments (1)
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 13
Votes
Undo
And here is one that shows where I am trying to add the supplement to the recipe and it has the 100 grams along with the choices for measurement of grams or the 1/2 teaspoon. And I am also including one that shows the 27 mg of calcium.

Thank you so much.
Attachments (2)
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 14
Votes
Undo
Hi Stacy,

I think I understand where the confusion comes from. The Table Data values only have meaning for the developers of this software. The other difficulty I see is with the common measure dropdown, where you are seeing the entire record of data for the common measure (i.e., Weighted ID, Amount, Measure Desc, Gram Weight). This extra information is just there for the beta. With the next update (before the Stable version) we will remove all of the info except for the Measure Desc. So you will just see Grams, Level Teaspoons, etc.

Rene
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 15
Votes
Undo
OK :) That table data was confusing me. Thank you for explaining it.

I get that the 0.08 is based on 1/12 of a teaspoon. Why would I use that instead of 0.17 which is based off 1/6 of 1/2 a teaspoon. The measurement was set up to be 1/2 a teaspoon, so when I pick that measurement, why would I then have to use it based 1 teaspoon instead of the 1/2 like it says it is? Does that make sense? Would it have been better just to set it up as 1 teaspoon when we added it through the food wizard????

Thank you so very much!!

Stacy
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 16
Votes
Undo
Hi Stacy,

I am glad that you understand. You can also add more common measures into the detail view of the food/supplement. Give it a try. Add 1 tablespoon = 10.2 grams to the "common measure" section. This will let you work with tablespoons. If you knew how much 1/4 cup of this calcium powder weighed, then you also be able to work with cups, not just 1/4 cups - any fractional or multiple cup measurement. We shield you from having to do any calculations at all.

Rene
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 17
Votes
Undo
I'm sorry, but I really don't understand. I don't understand why I have to put the amount of the calcium at 0.08 instead of 0.17. The 0.08 would be used if the measurement was a teaspoon and the 0.17 would be used if using 1/2 teaspoon . When we added the calcium supplement, we added it as 1/2 teaspoon. So, why is it making me put the amount based off a teaspoon rather than 1/2 a teaspoon???

Does that make sense?

Thank you so much!!!!

Stacy
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 18
Votes
Undo
Got it!!!!! FINALLY!!!! At least I think I do.

Basically, I can put any measurement I need when I add the ingredient (like 1/4 tsp, 1/8 tsp, etc.), but will work with the whole measurement (like 1 teaspoon, 1 tablespoon, etc.) when I build the recipe. Is that right????

I feel like the light bulb just went off so I hope I am right lol :) :) :)

Thank you so much!!!

Stacy
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 19
Votes
Undo
Hi Stacy,

You are very welcome. That is correct. We work with whole measurements even though you may enter a fraction or multiple.

Rene
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 20
Votes
Undo
I also need to enter NOW Calcium Carbonate to PDD. the screen shots will not open, please assist.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 21
Votes
Undo
Hi CindyCasciano,

Thanks for the heads up. None of the images in our forums are showing so we have our website development team looking into this. Please check back tomorrow.

Rene
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Nutrient Database
  3. # 22
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.
Sorry, the discussion is currently locked. You will not be able to post a reply or a comment at the moment.