1. SIM00
  2. Uncategorized
  3. Wednesday, 23 January 2019
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could explain the differences, pros/cons between Recommended Allowance and Minimum Requirements. I understand what they mean but I'm looking for more information or more than a surface level understanding.

How do you most people formulate a recipe, which one do they formulate based on?

What do dog food companies formulate with?

What's industry standard?

I'd really appreciate more information on this subject.

Thank you!
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi SIM00,

Your questions are very complex and beyond the scope of our support.

However, I can quickly answer a few of them (not in detail). MR is the minimum amount of a nutrient that won't result in a disease condition. RA has a "fudge" factor built in to account for bioavailability.

Most people formulate to NRC, as it is more appropriate than commercial standards, such as AAFCO or FEDIAF.

This blog has a good explanation: https://www.petdietdesigner.com/en/community-blog/entry/cosmos-urinary-stones-part-3

Dog food companies usually formulate to industry standards (AAFCO, FEDIAF) as it is a legal requirement in some countries. Industry standards are less stringent than NRC.

Rene
Animal Nutritionist and Lead Developer for Pet Diet Designer
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Uncategorized
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Hi Rene,

Thanks for the response.

I understand that dog food companies usually formulate to industry standards (AAFCO, FEDIAF) or to NRC guidelines (which are stricter).

1) Does that mean that AAFCO and FEDIAF don't use MR and RA?

2) If PDD uses NRC guidelines but we have an option to choose MR and RA, which set of standards is meets the NRC guidelines: MR or RA? Or, does the NRC offer two sets of guidelines, one for RA and one for MR?

MR and RA is such a big component of formulating these recipes (since it's one of the two choices) so it would be helpful to understand that a bit better.

Thank you!
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Uncategorized
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Hi SIM00,

AAFCO and FEDIAF use MR and Maximum (safe upper limit).

Use RA as that has some bioavailability factored in. Our upcoming release has more accurate bioavailability.

Rene
Animal Nutritionist and Lead Developer for Pet Diet Designer
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Uncategorized
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
Okay, thanks
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Uncategorized
  3. # 4
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.
Sorry, the discussion is currently locked. You will not be able to post a reply or a comment at the moment.