1. Oberhund
  2. Uncategorized
  3. Saturday, 19 January 2019
Can you confirm that that safe upper limit for lysine for puppies is accurate as posted on your website? 227%? I'm having a LOT of trouble creating a recipe that contains less than that amount of lysine. I've tried a beef one and a chicken one. To get the lysine levels low enough, some of the other nutrients then are lacking. Please confirm that the value of 227% lysine is the safe upper limit and it not a mistake. Thank you.
Accepted Answer
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi Oberhund,

Please see the attached documents and screenshots which show one way to balance a meal for a puppy. I used some of the ingredients you had. I also altered the puppies activity level for slightly less calories. Please change yours to match. As the puppy grows you have to alter the recipe for balance. Please weigh the puppy each week and tweak the recipe. You should enter this recipe exactly as I have it and then copy the recipe and play with the copy.

Rene
Attachments (5)
Animal Nutritionist and Lead Developer for Pet Diet Designer
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Uncategorized
  3. # Permalink
Votes
Undo
Hi Oberhund,

Yes I can confirm that all of the values used in our software, including the safe upper limit percentages are accurate. It is harder to create an optimal, balanced recipe for puppies.

Puppies have very stringent requirements for Lysine and Calcium as noted on our Safe Upper Limit blog (see link below).

Rene
References
  1. https://www.petdietdesigner.com/en/community-blog/entry/safe-upper-limits-for-dog-diets
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Uncategorized
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Can you confirm then that the software is calculating the Lysine amounts correctly? I've attached two PDFs: on with the Recipe Analysis to see the Lysine levels, and one with the Basic Recipe Report listing the amounts I've plugged in. The recipe is not finished yet and as you can see I've pretty much maxed out the Lysine values yet the recipe has not met caloric requirements and is low in tryptophan, as an example. I've been playing with the other ingredient levels to try to meet nutrient requirements while staying below the Lysine upper limit. I'm not sure a recipe is possible unless it's going to be high carb and supplements added. if the 227% upper limit is accurate AND if the software is calculating the Lysine amounts accurately (and the data is entered accurately) then could you send me an example of a puppy recipe so I can see how it is possible to use the software to get a recipe balanced and complete?
Attachments (2)
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Uncategorized
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Hi Oberhund,

Please attach the Recipe Nutrient Report and the Pet Recipe Analysis Report.

Rene
References
  1. https://www.petdietdesigner.com/en/product/pet-diet-designer-for-windows/reports/recipe-nutrient-report
  2. https://www.petdietdesigner.com/en/product/pet-diet-designer-for-windows/reports/pet-recipe-analysis-report
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Uncategorized
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
Thank you for your help. I'm not sure this will help me as I'm trying to avoid using grains (rice), the organ meat seems rather high (twice the amount of the ground beef), and I have concerns about the types of oils used and the wheat germ. I'm also hoping for higher fat but lower protein than what you've listed, but perhaps I'll need to research a bit more about puppy diets to be more confident with ingredient choices. I'll play around with things a bit more and see if I can make this work.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Uncategorized
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
You are very welcome Oberhund. I am marking this thread as resolved.

Rene
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Uncategorized
  3. # 6
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.
Sorry, the discussion is currently locked. You will not be able to post a reply or a comment at the moment.